13/07/2013

POPPIES CAMDEN, FISH & CHIPS, & DINER JAZZ


If you're looking for the best fish & chips, battered or grilled, that evoke memories of the coast & unequivocally convince you that the salty sea air is blowing in & the tide is close by, then head to Poppies in Camden. This fun, enthusiastically retro diner - the staff sport 1950s sailor-girl outfits - with juke box & dancing wooden puppets in the corner, also plays host to jazz & swing concerts whilst you eat. We started with some crispy battered onion rings & a plate of white bait: salty, lemon-soaked bites that were set off perfectly with a tangy tartare sauce. I chose rock fish, a deliciously mild & almost creamy white fish that flaked effortlessly off the bone, plus a side of mushy peas. The portions are huge, & whilst I didn't manage to polish off my main, I just about had space left for a dessert. And thank God, because the dessert? Wow! Caramel toffee pudding, a surprisingly light sponge swimming in deep brown caramel sauce, with a hint of salt, went down marvellously. I loved all the little touches - the cut-glass tumblers & wine glasses that remind you of those your parents had, the toilets (yup, i unashamedly took some pictures!), & the chewy yellow & black penny sweets that bid you farewell with your bill.





{all photos by me, except final by Lizzie, edits by me}

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm visiting London in August, and this place looks fantastic - I'm definitely adding it to my list of restaurants to try while I'm there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...